Erotic Desensitization and Revision, Realities of Our Current Sexual World
To learn more about AASECT sex therapy certification requirements, go to www.aasect.org.
- AASECT approved course issuing 10 CEs
- AASECT Core Knowledge Areas Sex Education: A, B, D, F, I, N, O
- AASECT Content Areas Sex Therapy: A, D, E, F
- ISTI approved course issuing 10 CEs
- ISTI Category 1b, 2b, 3b
- AASECT approved course issuing 10 CEs
Most therapists and professionals who work with sexuality face their own issues and countertransference around eroticism and intimacy as they start their career as sex therapists. Treatment protocols are unclear and normally they rely on their limited training or their own personal experiences. This can bring up awkward and uncomfortable feelings that can create blocks in the therapy. The personal bias of the therapist also can confuse the real issues in treatment and mirror pathology for the client.
In Tammy’s SAR workshop we will work through sexual issues, resistance, guilt and shame, and create ways to help challenge resistance around stereotypes, or old beliefs around sex.
The tendency to judge others sexual behavior as abnormal if it doesn’t align with our own erotic behaviors or beliefs is deeply entrenched in our psyche. In this training we will work on being more open minded and creating a non pathological view of sexuality in order to work with individuals and couples fairly and effectively.
This workshop will help professionals by exposing them to a variety of sexual practices, and educating them on fetishes, paraphilias, and fringe behaviors, as well as expanding their beliefs about pornography, infidelity, homosexuality, open marriage, polyamory and other practices around sexuality that may trigger personal issues, emotional responses, and resistance.
This is both a practical and fun workshop, with a judgment free environment. There will be discussion, lecture, film, group experiential, with possibility of guest lecturers. Handouts will include worksheets, workbook, suggested reading list, and other surprises.
Attitudes/Values Training Experience:
A structured group experience consisting of a process oriented exploration of the applicant’s own feelings, attitudes, values, and beliefs regarding human sexuality and sexual behavior (e.g., a SAR). This training is not personal psychotherapy or an academic experience nor is the emphasis on cognitive information.
Participants will write a one page comprehensive statement of his/her professional philosophy and goals of sex therapy including how the SAR affected that philosophy at the end of this course, to submit to AASECT .
- Participants will learn how to create a safe, non-pathological environment around sexuality in their treatment of couples and individuals.
- Participants will learn about alternative sexual practices and the variety of open monogamy practices in the current culture.
- Participants will be able to communicate their own countertransference and resistance that may have been unconscious and triggering in treatment of couples with sexual issues.
- Participants will identify fetishes, paraphilias and fringe behaviors and how to treat them, when possible.
- Participants will process their own emotional, somatic and psychological responses including resistance and vicarious trauma that may be triggered by issues around pornography, sexual exploitation, and BDSM.
- Participants will expand their knowledge and challenge their beliefs about pornography, infidelity, homosexuality, open marriage, polyamory and other practices in relationships that may be counterintuitive to their own beliefs.
Dr Tammy Nelson is a sex and relationship expert, an international speaker, and author of several books including, “Getting the Sex You Want; Shed Your Inhibitions and Reach New Heights of Passion Together” and her new book “The New Monogamy; Redefining Your Relationship After Infidelity.” She is a Board Certified Sexologist, an AASECT Certified Sex Therapist, and a Certified Imago Relationship therapist. She has been a featured expert in Glamour Magazine, Cosmopolitan, Redbook, MSNBC, Healthy Life Magazine, Shape, Men’s Health, Men’s Health UK, Woman’s Day, Women’s Health, Twist Magazine, New York Times, Washington Post and a source in Time Magazine. She writes for the Huffington Post and YourTango and gives workshops and Intensives for couples and trains therapists around the world on issues relating to sex and relationships. She can be found at www.drtammynelson.com