Connecting Couples Emotionally and Sexually
Taught by: Deborah Fox, LCSW
Designed for: Therapists, counselors, mental health practitioners
Course includes: A 2-part recorded webinar from in-person session.
2 AASECT CEs available in these Core Knowledge Areas (CKAs):
Sex Education: B, C, E, H, I, M
Sex Therapy: A, C, D
ISTI CSCT knowledge categories: 2a, 2c, 2d
This workshop explores the intersection of sexual and emotional intimacy for couples experiencing low sexual desire in one or both partners. A treatment model of intervention will be presented. We’ll discuss various factors that could result in low desire and consider the initial options for beginning therapy. We’ll then examine the most common reasons why therapy stalls or breaks down and the interventions most likely to lead to resolution.
Helping couples who struggle with their sexual relationship requires multiple skill sets. Cognitive behavioral sex therapy skills are essential, yet often not sufficient. When a couple gets stuck, it’s usually because underlying emotional factors are interfering. This treatment model includes interventions that can be used to explore deeper emotional factors which may be contributing to the impasse. Didactic, case example and interactive methods will be utilized.
This course will cover:
- A treatment model for building sexual and emotional intimacy in a couple presenting with low desire
- Physical and emotional factors that contribute to low sexual desire and sexual inactivity
- A therapeutic approach to beginning the treatment process
- Interventions to employ when a couple becomes stuck
In this course:
- Participants will be able to name three possible reasons why someone might develop low sexual desire.
- Participants will be able to identify three possible interventions to address low desire.
- Participants will be able to name three aspects of a treatment model to build emotional and sexual intimacy in a couple.
- Participants will describe the trauma individuals who are intersexed often experience.
Deborah Fox, LICSW, is a clinical social worker with over thirty years of experience in private practice in Washington, DC. She is an AASECT Certified Sex therapist and a Certified Imago Relationship Therapist, providing individual, couple and group psychotherapy, as well as clinical consultation.
Deborah has lectured on sex therapy concepts and skills at The Washington School of Psychiatry and the Institute of Contemporary Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis in Washington, DC. She conducts seminars and consultation groups on couples therapy and sex therapy. She is passionate about taking sex therapy and couples therapy to a deeper emotional level and enabling greater intimacy. Visit Deborah at www.debfox.com.
**This program meets the educational requirements of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) and is approved for 2 CE credits – asynchronous. These CE credits may be applied toward AASECT certification and renewal of certification. Completion of this program does not ensure or guarantee AASECT certification. For further information please contact email@example.com or go to www.AASECT.org. Please contact your local certifying organization for detailed information on courses they accept for CEs.